Pagan Blog Project 2014

Pagan Blog Project 2014

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Evolving Wicca

Evolving Wicca

 As I travel through my journey as a Wicca , embracing and connecting with different deities and flavors of Paganism, connecting and un-connecting, emerging and distancing myself from their different ways to connect to deity - with the only constant remaining, my Patron Hecate, - I discover Gods and myths that leave a deep impression on my Self - staying with me longer, and sometimes even staying with me through months and years of my spiritual expression. Hestia and the celebration of Noumenia is one of those.


Traditionally in Hellenism Noumenia is the celebration of the New Moon in which the Gods (sometimes the 12 Household Gods, others those who share your personal path) are honored. One of the observances is that in honor of Hestia, the Oikos ( household) is brought in order, usually that means cleaning, organizing and preparing for the coming lunar month in conjunction with planning and goal setting. This cleansing of physical space in preparation for ritual, extending not only to the altars but to the entire home, specifically the kitchen as well as the planning and goal setting resonates deep with me. While cleansing space is common place in Wiccan practice, this goes slightly further by moving through the mundane act of deep cleaning with a focus of reverence to the Goddess of Hearth and Home. While it is not necessary to consider the Greek Pantheon’s Hestia to be honored that way - one can substitute a Goddess of the Home of ones choosing, such as Brighid, or Vesta - or even some of the Grain and Harvest Goddesses such as Ceres, or Ashnan.

 The principle of cleansing and preparation for the coming time as a ritualistic act, one done in the communion with the Gods rather then a separate act to prepare for time with the deities is profound and moving. One’s focus changes from a motion of necessity to an motion of honor and devotion, and with that intention the house is filled with a completely different energy. Each moment of this day becomes now a spiritual act, rather then a few minutes or hours at one particular point of the day. It infuses the day with holiness and moves it closer to the real meaning of holy-day. While my time spend with the rituals and hymns of the Hellenistic Traditions will not move me away from my path as a Wiccan it allows me (as do all connections with other paths) to evolve in my spiritual practice. I urge you to take a closer look at the traditions of our pagan brothers and sisters, to learn from their rituals, songs and devotions.

 Hail Hecate!

 Blessed Be!

No comments:

Post a Comment