Pagan Blog Project 2014

Pagan Blog Project 2014

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Exploring The Triple Goddess - Light, Shadow and Darkness



A comment on my Shrine's facebook page has been  dancing around my head over the last few days. I wished a dear commentar "hugs and blessings" and was told imidiatly how Hecate isn't such a Goddess, and he did not think this has space in a Shrine dedicated to her.

Really? Disregarding the fact that as a Shrine Keeper, I consider my corners of the social media to be my personal space I invite others to (and therefore make the rules of that space), I am baffled by this one dimensional view of the Great Triple Goddess.

She is a Triple Goddess for a reason - a mover between the worlds of light, shadow and dark, of this plane, the transition stage and our next place. All that happens within these realms, love, pain, consideration, hurt, anger, dispair and hope are included within this vast space, and therefore fall under her juristiction. Limiting her to shadows or the emotions of the darkness is to limit oneself as a follower of her. As a Priestess, I am called to acknowledge the depth of the dark side, but I am also asked to acknowledged the light. She who carries the torches brings light herself within the dark spaces, and in those moments we are reminded to do so the same.

A true connection to any deity requires to explore all his/her aspects and confronting them within ourselves. We all have these three aspects - light, shadow and dark  within our daily experiences, and how we respond to them determines the quality of the path we take. And as followers of the great Goddess we become the torch bearer, the light bringer in the dark times, the comforter, the one who makes the transition easier through a kind word, or a blessings - and a virtual hug.

So yes in the space of my Shrine, virtual or physical, I offer hugs, kind words and hopeful some encouragements to those who are in transition.

Hail Hecate!

2 comments: